Tuesday, March 31, 2009

AT&TU-verse: The Final (fingers crossed) Episode


Today at 12:45 pm Randy, The AT&T U-verse installer rang my doorbell. He was smart, efficient and friendly-everything one wants from a service provider. After testing the interior phone lines Randy went up the street to make the necessary configuration changes in the central phone 'closet.'

Five minutes later my cell phone rings. It is yet another disembodied AT&T voice informing me that my order could not be completed and that I would have to call back to reschedule my installation. I looked down at the various pieces of installation equipment still hooked up to my phone line and decided that Randy would most likely not be recalled to the mother ship without the gear.

Sure enough, a short while later Randy was back installing the new junction box in my basement and then hooking up the new router/modem.

The new U-verse internet works flawlessly right at the advertised 6Mbps that I signed up for. The wifi signal is much stronger than the previous system allowing us to dispose of the 'extender' that we used previously in an attempt to reach the various rooms.

If any of you who have followed this thread are still thinking about AT&T U-verse service, here is my 2¢:

The internet service, 6Mbps at $35/month is excellent.

Randy, the installer, is brilliant and probably underpaid. He should be made CEO.

AT&T U-verse sales is a nightmare to deal with. There are not enough epithets to describe the depths of their incompetence. You better have plenty of alcohol and/or slightly expired prescription painkillers on hand. A really good sense of gallows humor helps.

Steve

No comments: